Monday, February 18, 2008

Be prepared

Woke up this morning and the weather channel said 61 degrees!!!!. I was so excited I didn't bother with the wind speeds. Took the car to the dealer to get work done and the phone started to ring. First Jose and then Dani, giving me the meeting times for the ride. Days like today are a little tricky for me because I tend to bonk when the temperature is between 50 and 70 degrees. Even though it was 61, I have this rule, if the weather is below 65, I wear knee warmers. As a precaution, I took my arm warmers and vest, just in case. Jose and Enrique came by the house and we rode to HP where Jose met us. Because it was a holday, HP had a crowd (both people and traffic) and the group at first was riding a good tempo, with the wind wrecking havoc on both sides. Because I didn't get the full weather report, I was unaware of the cold front that was slowly moving in and as the ride went on, the wind started to shift and the temperature started to drop, which call for the arm warmers and vest to come into action. The sky started to turn gray and rain clouds were fast approaching. Dani, Enrique and I headed back home taking the trail. Now the trail can be a dangerous place, with walkers, joggers, cyclists, etc. all wanting a part of a small piece of real state. As the three of us slowed down due to some walkers on both sides of the trail, some dude sporting the Italia national team jersey passed us in a very dangerous maneuver, between the two group of walkers. I guess we were slowing his average speed. Dani asked me to catch the wanker and keeping in mind that there was high traffic on the trail, I increased the pace slightly, always keeping safety first. We caught the idiot (no other way to describe him) and as we were approaching the overpass by the airport, Dani accelerated, with both Enrique and myself in tow. "Il Italiano" never expected us and couldn't react in time, although I did see him huffing and puffing trying to catch the wheels. As we were laughing about the little payback, rain drops started to fall and we quickly had to go into team trial mode to avoid a good soaking. The legs felt a little better than yesterday and it was a good workout, but tomorrow is back to the good old days of winter. Is it April yet?

No comments: